Details about the South Asian region
- South Asia or Southern Asia refers to the region in the southern part of the Asian Continent.
- It includes the territories of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Mauritius, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Tibet.
- It covers 5.1 million sq.km (1.9 million sq.miles), which is 11.51% of the Asian continent, and 3.4% of the world's land surface area
- The population of the region is around 1.75 billion, almost 25% of the world population,
- South Asia is the most populous and most densely populated geographical region of the world.
- South Asia has the world's largest population of Hindus and Muslims, and is also home to a vast variety of peoples.
- South Asia is home to several hundred languages.